Minggu, 20 April 2008

Story behind The Book of Abarat: Book 1

Sun, April 13 2008


Finally, I finish reading the first book of Abarat. WOW!
After several great fights inside myself on deciding whether to stop or continue reading this novel, I managed to finish it until the last page.


Perhaps some of you are questioning about why I need to experience such fights only to finish reading a novel. Is it because of the book is boring? Or is it because the story is too unworthy to read? None of them. The only reason is… this novel has caused several nightmares to me. No kidding, I really affected by those nightmares more than I realized I would.


In some pages of the novel, there’re pictures of chickens. Yes! Chickens! I have some kind of chicken phobia (not only to chickens but to birds too, honestly) I don’t know since when.
These several years I’ve tried to press it to the lower limit. I’ve experience almost none nightmares about being attacked by chicken or bird or goose. Otherwise, I, several times, dreaming about myself having enough courage to fight back those chickens.


But I don’t know why, recently, the phobia is getting strong. Perhaps the intense “meeting” with chickens and my friends whom sometimes playing around with me with chickens makes my mental condition slope down to its lower level (if I can’t say to the lowest level). That is why, when I saw the picture of chickens in the first book of Abarat, I successfully haunted by nightmares with chickens as the villain! Sounds ridiculous, it is, but not for me.


At least, for me, I’ve managed to win the mental fight by continue reading the rest pages of the novel. It’s a great novel, truly it is. I’ll regret it for sure if I stop reading it just because of several nightmares.


Thou knowing that fact, when I start peeping what’s inside the second book of Abarat, I’m a bit terrified with the fact that the second book, again, still containing story about Chickentown! I assumed if Chickentown is talked in the second book, means the second book also containing picture of chickens! I do really really hope that I won’t get any nightmares for more. These chicken’s attacks already exhaust me for sure.


I’m tired reading a book with heartbeat, a bit handshaking, afraid of seeing a picture of chicken! Degradation on my phobia case but what can I do?! Guess I’ll have to start it all over to overcome my phobia.


Gosh, how many years do I’d need for that? Several years to put me on the previous level (before my mental state slopes down) and another several years more to cure it, I guess. (if no other obstacles arise). Meanwhile… can I still confide myself to keep trying overcoming my chicken phobia? *shrugs* *winks*


PS: mental state that I meant above doesn’t related to crazy or something, just mental exhaustion :)

2 komentar:

Aleetha mengatakan...

As I've written on my last sms, I also have something that I am afraid of

We should find a way to cover it

My teacher said that we had to get into our "alam bawah sadar" ( in english?)
But I haven't got the way

One of my junior hated durian, then she jump into her unconsciouses, and now, she can eat one of them

I'll find more about this
I'm going to tell you A.S.A.P

nana mengatakan...

alam bawah sadar... what we call it in english uh.. our unconsciousness? trance? i don't think trance is a suitable one
hmm shrugs, no idea at all, Ally.

about what your teacher said.. sounds like hypnotism method. don't know it's true or not. if it's hypnotism method, that's not a perfect way out. if it's not a hypnotism method, maybe it is a perfect way out.

right now, as i know, the only way out is to face it with full consciousness. step by step, carefully, facing our 'fear' and let it go. shrugs. haven't dare enough lol